Thursday, December 25, 2008

More Christmas Poetry

I wrote this poem for the English Corner party Sunee and I was supposed to go to Christmas Eve. It was supposed to be a Christmas party about love and cherishing the one you love. I was to read this to Sunee at the end of the party. Unfortunately we ended up missing the party because of a previous commitment to attend a dinner given by Dean Jiang.

Twas the Night Before Christmas...Emei Style

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the dorm
All the students were listening, to this my Christmas poem
The weather was cloudy, as always is Emei
While these words of greatness, I was trying to say

My wife was staring as I recited the lines
Of a poem I had written just for these times
The verses came quickly and I spoke with a shrug
Twas another Christmas I read, so give me a hug

Her eyes followed my movements, as I stepped to her side
Thinking of these years she had been my bride
I held out my hand so gentle and warm
Hoping her stare would quickly transform

She thought I was stupid, and this a big joke
To ask for a hug in front of these folk
I begged her forgiveness and asked once more
A hug for old times sake from the one I adore


I wrote this next poem to recite to my writing and listening classes Christmas week. I was told that they would not have to have a final exam so I gave them an exam during the regular classes. A week before Christmas week, I was informed that these two courses required a final exam by the administration. No problem but I did have to apologize to my classes for this mistake:

Here I Stand

Here I stand
On this holiday
Was this planned?
What can I say?

I have some news
It’s pretty bad
Please don’t refuse
And make me sad

You have a test
A final exam
Don’t be depressed
No need to cram

I see your eyes!
Don’t look at me
Its Christmas guys
Don’t make me flee!

The Christmas sound
Floats high and low
And all around
With words aglow

Yet here I stand
At Christmas time
A simple man
Who’s out of rhyme

Christmas Comes To Emei Mountain

Christmas comes to Emei Shan.
What a great idea and fun so dear!
It’s now for sure! We must get it on
To celebrate the best day of the year!

Christmas comes to Emei Shan.
There ain’t no turkey and no ham?
We’ll just spend some Jungguo yuan’
Buy shredded meat and pineapple jam.

Christmas comes to Emei Shan.
I think we’ll have a Christmas tree.
We could get one before the dawn
Up on the mountain where it’s free?

Christmas comes to Emei Shan.
Time to make the joyful sound,
While hoping for a loud ovation,
For the words that are so profound

Christmas comes to Emei Shan.
Really it’s right here in our room,
So let’s all sing and get it on.
Let a thousand voices bloom!

No comments: